Ahhh Thanksgiving… A day to sit back and take stock of what you are thankful for in your life. The timing of the NHL’s Opening Weekend was perfect for us Canadians, we were treated to some great hockey on this holiday long-weekend.
As an NHL fan, I have had some time to think about 5 things that I’m thankful for. Here we go:
5) The Vancouver Canucks lost their home-opener in heartbreaking fashion. The Penguins spoiled the party by defeating the Canucks in a shootout. I’m sorry but after the playoffs last year, I can’t cut Vancouver annnnnny slack. They are forever on my “annoying teams” list.
4) The Sharks treated us to an exciting and goal-filled home opener. The 6-3 win over the Phoenix Coyotes was such a feel-good win on so many levels… Greiss played awesome; Handzus scored a goal; the big boys (e.g., Marleau, Pavs, Clowe) got into the act early; and Andrew Desjardins had a break-out game.
3) The Sharks forward Brad Winchester earned himself a 1 year deal after coming into training camp on only a try-out basis. Hard work and dedication does pay off, and Winchester is proof. Oh and Mr. Aaron Volpatti of the Canucks… Mr. Winchester will want to have some words with you next time you both meet on the ice. I’m sure that the future outcome will be different from what happened last time.
2) HOCKEY IS BACK! ’nuff said.
1) This really doesn’t have anything to do with hockey… but I had a great turkey dinner and now I’m stuffed… Oh wait there are NHL games on tonight! Here’s to being stuffed with turkey and watching hockey!!
and Facebook – Blades of Teal