The two best pieces I’ve seen on potential amnesty buyouts for the Sharks are from Fear the Fin and The Hockey Writers. Both suggest, either in photo form or downright speculation, that Dan Boyle is a candidate for buy out. So is he the Sharks’ best candidate for an amnesty buy out?
No. Here’re 5 reasons why the Sharks should hold onto Boyle:
1) The Sharks don’t need the cap space. They’re fine for next year, and Boyle’s contract is only through 2013/2014.
2) Boyle’s offensive prodction has slowed each of the past 3 years, and people think he’s developed into a defensive liability. LIES! His point total was down by 2 points and he was a strong +10 last season. Maybe most importantly he is a minute eater: the guy logged over 25 minutes of ice time.
3) He’s one of the strongest voices in the locker room. Before Thornton was rightfully named captain, there was speculation that #22 would be the next one wearing the C for our boys in Teal. For a team that needs that extra push come playoff time, Boyle can be a strong alternate captain for Big Joe to lean on.
4) He has playoff experience and is one of the only players on the current roster to have won a Stanley Cup already (Burish, Niemi, Stuart).
5) I have an autographed authentic Dan Boyle Jersey. I met him at the Tank one day, he couldn’t have been nicer, and took time away from his young family to sign some autographs for fans until everyone had his name on their gear. Good dude.
Please, Doug, leave Dan here. Let’s see what these old dogs can get done in 2013.
Be sure to follow all of your BoT staff on twitter!!!
Blades of Teal: Tape to tape “WITH THE PASS” of expert analysis on San Jose Sharks, Worcester Sharks, and San Francisco Bulls hockey