Since their lackluster performance in a home loss to the Hurricanes a week ago, the San Jose Sharks have responded in a big way, earning a big win over the Penguins on Thursday and a 4-0 shellacking of Canadiens on Saturday.
Tuesday night marks the end of their four-game homestand, and the Sharks will look to make it a successful one as they take on the Toronto Maple Leafs at SAP Center.
This will be the second and final meeting between these two teams this season. The Sharks defeated the Leafs 4-2 back on Dec. 3, as Antti Niemi made 30 saves and the Sharks dominated on the shot count.
However, the Leafs are hot at the moment, winners of three straight and second behind Boston in the Atlantic Division. They are 14-3-3 in their last 20 games, and are coming off a 3-1 win over the Pacific Division-leading Ducks on Monday night in Anaheim, a game in which Jonathan Bernier made 43 saves. This does mean that Toronto will be on the back-end of a back-to-back while the Sharks have had two days off, so there should be no question about who will be more fresh on the ice.
Whether or not that translates to a San Jose victory remains to be seen.
Tale of the Tape
- Goals for per game: 2.92 (7th)
- Goals against per game: 2.34 (4th)
- Shots per game: 34.9 (1st)
- Shots against per game: 27.5 (4th)
- Penalty minutes: 608 (5th)
- Power play percentage: 16.2% (21st)
- Penalty kill percentage: 84.0% (6th)
- Goals for per game: 2.83 (10th)
- Goals against per game: 2.98 (25th)
- Shots per game: 27.8 (26th)
- Shots against per game: 30.3 (16th)
- Penalty minutes: 817 (26th)
- Power play percentage: 20.7% (8th)
- Penalty kill percentage: 77.9% (28th)
Sharks: Joe Pavelski (32 G, 30 A), Joe Thornton (9 G, 52 A), Patrick Marleau (26 G, 31 A)
Maple Leafs: Phil Kessel (33 G, 37 A), James van Riemsdyk (26 G, 26 A), Nazem Kadri (17 G, 27 A)
Sharks: Defenseman Brad Stuart (upper body) is day-to-day. Forward Tomas Hertl (knee) is skating, but remains out indefinitely.
Maple Leafs: Forwards David Clarkson (leg injury) and Colton Orr (undisclosed) did not play Monday and remain questionable. Center David Bolland (ankle injury) remains on injured reserve
SAN JOSE (41-17-7)
Opening face-off: 7:30 PST
Location: SAP Centre, San Jose, CA
Tags: San Jose Sharks