The last time the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers met was one of the more memorable games of the season thus far for the Sharks, who dominated the Rangers 9-2 back on Oct. 8. It was made even better by Tomas Hertl’s four-goal performance, including an epic between-the-legs breakaway goal in the third period.
On Sunday afternoon, these two teams will meet again, but under a few different circumstances: it will be a road game for Team Teal, and the injured Hertl won’t be playing.
But there is no doubt that the Rangers will be looking for payback. No team enjoys getting blown out, and the Rangers have a shot at redemption. They also have bolstered their roster big-time with the acquisition of Martin St. Louis at the trade deadline in the deal that sent Ryan Callahan to Tampa Bay. St. Louis scored four goals against the Sharks as a member of the Lightning on Dec. 18, so the Sharks will need to find a way to stop the speedy winger.
Both teams are currently locked in close division races. The Sharks are tied with the Ducks atop the Pacific with 95 points, while the Rangers (76 points) are tied with Columbus are just a point ahead of Philadelphia for the second spot in the Metropolitan. San Jose has won five straight games, while New York has dropped two of its last three.
Tale of the Tape
- Goals for per game: 2.99 (7th)
- Goals against per game: 2.35 (4th)
- Shots per game: 34.8 (1st)
- Shots against per game: 27.8 (5th)
- Penalty minutes: 638 (5th)
- Power play percentage: 16.1% (21st)
- Penalty kill percentage: 84.4% (7th)
- Goals for per game: 2.54 (19th)
- Goals against per game: 2.46 (7th)
- Shots per game: 32.8 (3rd)
- Shots against per game: 29.5 (14th)
- Penalty minutes: 694 (11th)
- Power play percentage: 19.5% (11th)
- Penalty kill percentage: 84.6% (6th)
Sharks: Joe Pavelski (34 G, 32 A), Joe Thornton (10 G, 55 A), Patrick Marleau (28 G, 32 A)
Rangers: Martin St. Louis (29 G, 34 G), Brad Richards (16 G, 30 A), Derek Stepan (12 G, 34 A)
Sharks: Defenseman Brad Stuart (upper body) is out. Forward Tomas Hertl (knee) is skating, but remains out indefinitely.
SAN JOSE (44-17-7)
NEW YORK (36-28-4)
Opening face-off: 1:00 PST
Location: Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY