Both the San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche have clinched playoff spots and home ice advantage in the first round; however, this game matters a bit more to the Avalanche than the Sharks.
San Jose is guaranteed to finish in second in the Pacific Division and face the Kings in the first round, but the Avalanche are currently in a tight battle with the Blues for first in the Central. Both the Avalanche and Blues have 111 points, and Colorado owns the tiebreaker with two games left to play. You bet the Avalanche will be playing hard to clinch first place, so the Sharks have an opportunity to play the role of spoiler here.
It will be interesting to see whether Todd McLellan decides to play all of his top players. With less than a week until the playoffs begin and the Sharks’ position already locked up, it may be better served to rest some guys and make sure everyone is fresh heading into what will be a grueling series against the Kings. However, the Sharks are probably looking to get a win just to gain some self-confidence after dropping two straight to the Predators and Ducks.
In their last meeting, the Sharks fell to the Avalanche 3-2 back on Mar. 29. They are 1-2 against the Avalanche this season.
Tale of the Tape
- Goals for per game: 2.89 (7th)
- Goals against per game: 2.38 (6th)
- Shots per game: 34.9 (1st)
- Shots against per game: 27.7 (6th)
- Penalty minutes: 731 (5th)
- Power play percentage: 17.1% (19th)
- Penalty kill percentage: 84.7% (7th)
- Goals for per game: 3.01 (4th)
- Goals against per game: 2.61 (T-14th)
- Shots per game: 29.9 (20th)
- Shots against per game: 32.6 (25th)
- Penalty minutes: 869 (17th)
- Power play percentage: 20.0% (7th)
- Penalty kill percentage: 80.4% (24th)
SAN JOSE (49-22-9)
Opening Face-off: 7:00 PM PST
Location: SAP Center, San Jose, CA
Tags: San Jose Sharks